The Center for Great Apes occasionally has openings for paid positions as a Great Ape Caregiver. The focus of this position is to provide optimal care for the health and welfare of the sanctuary orangutans and chimpanzees.
The Center for Great Apes seeks qualified individuals who are committed to our primate residents and who share the values of the Center in providing permanent care with dignity for the apes. We look for candidates who are enthusiastic, cheerful, have positive attitudes and, are supportive of other staff members and volunteers.
Besides having a sincere interest in the welfare and care of captive great apes, applicants for professional employment as a great ape caregiver must:
- Have 2 years of experience in great ape or primate husbandry
- At least 2 years of college in the related subject matter
- Have a philosophy of animal care and animal respect that blends with the Center’s mission
- Be able to lift 50 pounds
- Be able to work outside in extreme climates and weather
- Be willing and able to strictly follow all safety policies and protocols
- Be available to work any day of the week including weekends and holidays
- Have a yearly tuberculosis test with proof of a negative titer
- Sign a liability release waiver
Banner Photo Credit: Jo-Anne McArthur courtesy of NEAVS